• Satisfied guests since 2006
  • Dedicated travel experts
  • Tried & tested quality tours
  • Carefully selected guides
  • Price Guarantee
  • 24/7 assistance during tours
  • Member of ATOL & ABTA
HomeTravel articles & guidesIguazú Falls – an experience of a lifetime!

Iguazú Falls – an experience of a lifetime!

02 December, 2018
View all posts

Iguazu Falls

It roars like thunder.

Cascades of water crash down the cliff-side, which is covered in green vegetation as far as the eye can see.

It’s like something from a fairy tale.

You’ll never forget the first time you set eyes on the Iguazú Falls.

What are the Iguazú Falls?

The Iguazú Falls are one of the world’s largest waterfalls.

Iguazú consists of no fewer than 275 waterfalls in varying sizes, stretching 2.7 kilometres along the Iguazú River while the water drops from a height of up to 85 metres.

Every second, a massive 6.5 million litres of water flow through the waterfall. By comparison, 2.5 million litres of water a second flow through Niagara Falls in the US.

The waterfalls are spellbinding.

Where are the Iguazú Falls?

view over Iguazu

The Iguazú Falls are located on the border between northern Argentina and southern Brazil.

The waterfalls are part of two national parks called Iguazú National Park (Argentina) and Iguaçu National Park (Brazil).

Together, the parks’ area around the Iguazú Falls totals 236,000 hectares.

About 80% of the Falls are situated on Argentinean soil, while the remaining 20% are in Brazil.

Iguazú National Park (Argentina)

The Argentinian national park covers an area of around 67,000 hectares and became a prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1984. Some 2,000 different plant species and animals such as howler monkeys, tapirs and jaguars live in the area, which consists of rainforest.

On the Argentinian side, you can see the waterfalls from both the top and the bottom. From the “top” of the waterfalls, you can see the water plunge over the cliff side, while a walk at the “bottom” gives you a stunning view of the falls right up close.

This area of natural beauty was classified as a national park in 1934.

Iguaçu National Park (Brazil)

Covering an area of around 169,000 hectares, Iguaçu National Park became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1986. The area is home to several endangered animals, including the giant anteater, the giant otter and the puma.

The national park was established in 1939, but expanded in 1944 and again in 1981 to reach the size it has today.

On the Brazilian side, you get the best panoramic views of the waterfalls.

Want to experience one of the world’s largest waterfalls?

Iguazu

You won’t regret your choice when standing right in front of the spectacular waterfall.

Whether you visit Iguazú from the Argentinian side, the Brazilian side, or both, Iguazú is a sight you’ll never forget.

Discover the waterfalls on these tours:

Llamatours.co.uk – the Latin American Experience!

We use cookies to make our website more user-friendly and relevant to you, as well as to display targeted ads. You accept this by clicking on.

You can say no thanks to cookies by clicking here. We use a cookie to remember your “no”.

Read more here.